[SATLUG] Ubuntu 10.04 Remote Desktop

Andrew Pickens wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 6 21:41:01 CST 2011

I want to access my computer from any of the other household computers
on the local net: one ea. Mac, Linux Eee, and a Puppy box.  Preferences
 > Remote Desktop make it look easy. However, I have not been able to
make it work.  I've made an effort at self help.  If anything, there is
too much info. on line; I haven't been able to sort it out.

It was suggested that I use ssh.  I found I needed Openssh and used
Synaptic Pkg Mgr to install Openssh client and server.  Still, no luck.
My first try with Puppy gave the following, which is typical:

# ssh izzy.local
The authenticity of host 'izzy.local (172.16.1.35)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 7c:c2:cc:3a:fe:18:bd:20:f7:29:80:1b:e8:42:5a:b1.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'izzy.local,172.16.1.35' (RSA) to the list of
known hosts.
root at izzy.local's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root at izzy.local's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root at izzy.local's password:
Permission denied (publickey,password).
#

No matter what, the password is ignored.

It appears that the secret may be in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  I don't want
to mess with a public key, so I changed "Pubkey Authentication" from yes
to no. That made no difference.  But, sshd_config is a big file with a
lot I don't understand, so it seems time to seek help.

*Maybe all I need is the command to connect w/o using ssh.
*
Any help will be appreciated.  I've already put too much time into this
project.

Thanks,

Andy Pickens

"Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't."