[SATLUG] Monitor res in Ubuntu 10.04

James Sundell zenbound at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 22:10:19 CST 2011

when we say xorg is configured on the fly, it really means xorg asks xrandr
"What display modes does the system support?" So we need to tell xrandr that
1) there is a new mode it didnt detect 2) we have to add a name for the new
mode settings and 3) set the VGA1 output to this new mode. Thank you for
posting the output of your xrandr, it looks like your monitor is named VGA1
as well, just like mine.

Type this into CLI:

xrandr --newmode "1280x1024_75.00"  138.54  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1025
1028 1069  -HSync +Vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA1 1280x1024
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024

If your screen turns black after the last command, before you press ANYTHING
else, push the up arrow twice then enter. That will set your video mode back
to 1024*768 so we can at least get an idea where we went wrong. It looks to
me like you didnt substitute #VGA# for the name of your monitor, VGA1 which
would explain why the first attempt failed.

Please keep in mind using an xorg file would be a step back in Ubuntu terms,
xrandr is how most of the ubuntu community manages their screen resolutions.
Kinda like when we went from grub to grub2.. it hurt, but it paid off in the
end