[SATLUG] [OT] Why no cooling fan on older graphics card??

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Fri Jan 7 09:23:34 CST 2011

On 01/06/2011 02:58 PM, Othniel Graichen wrote:
> This answer is bogus.  The previous answer was correct.

I think you're misunderstanding what he's asking.

He asked why as similar GPU models are re-released (the same
electronics) they've got a much smaller package than they used to.

I remember purchasing a GeForce 5200 when it was new, and it had a
massive heatsink and fan setup on it. A few years later, I purchased
another, and it just had a simple heatsink on it. I don't believe my
answer is bogus as the card was the same spec, but produced less heat
and needed less heatsink to operate.

David