[SATLUG] Ubuntu 10.04 Remote Desktop

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Jan 7 10:09:36 CST 2011

> On 01/06/2011 10:14 PM, James Sundell wrote:
> > What type of service do you want to provide over Remote desktop? Video
> > Streaming? Server of some sort? or just routine access? There are several
> > paths to choose from, but it really boils down to what you want to
> > accomplish with either your SSH or remote desktop tunnel.
>
> I would like to be able to access my**desktop and work as if I were at
> my computer.  "Remote Desktop" seems to say that I can do that within my
> local network.

I think your best bet is to use VNC. You will need to run a VNC server on the
remote machine, and a VNC viewer (client) on your local machine. Either machine
can be either Linux, Windows or Mac. The remote machine needs to have the server
port opened, if it isn't already, it is usually 5900 + the display number.
On Windows the default display is zero. More information at www.tightvnc.com,
but there are other packages that offer the same vnc technology.

-borries