[SATLUG] Ubuntu 10.04 Remote Desktop

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Jan 7 10:43:10 CST 2011

> On 01/07/2011 10:09 AM, Borries Demeler wrote:
> > I think your best bet is to use VNC. You will need to run a VNC server on the
> > remote machine, and a VNC viewer (client) on your local machine. Either machine
> > can be either Linux, Windows or Mac. The remote machine needs to have the server
> > port opened, if it isn't already, it is usually 5900 + the display number.
> > On Windows the default display is zero. More information at www.tightvnc.com,
> > but there are other packages that offer the same vnc technology.
> >
> > -borrie
>
> Thank you.  I'm somewhat overwhelmed.  I'll continue the struggle a
> while and report back.
>
> Andy

Andy, we can take that step by step:

1. download the server from http://www.tightvnc.com/download/1.3.10/tightvnc-1.3.10_unixsrc.tar.bz2
2. extract on izzy.local (tar -xvf tightvnc-1.3.10_unixsrc.tar.bz2)
3. vnc_unixsrc/Xvnc
4. ./configure
5. make
6. make install
test the server:
7. vncserver :1
8. it will ask you to set up a password for vnc connections
9. now go to another computer that has vncviewer installed (precompiled
binaries for Windows are available from www.tightvnc.com) and type:

vncviewer izzy.local:1

provide password, and you should be seeing the server window.

Anyone, if anything I am saying is incorrect please correct me.

-borries