[SATLUG] [OT] Why no cooling fan on older graphics card??

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Fri Jan 7 11:53:47 CST 2011

On 01/07/2011 11:30 AM, emon wrote:
> Yes you have got your finger right on the point :-)
>
> If what you are saying is accurate, then it does really answer all my
> questions.. Thanks for the update.
>
> If I may ask for one last favor :-).... can you please post some links
> pointing to this fact???
>
> Thanks a lot again David (&  everybody else)
> Emon

It's difficult to find direct evidence of this on the internet, except
in examining video card models over time. A video card is a combination
of firmware and hardware. So with newer chips, they load a different
firmware onto it and put different sets of ram on the board. Now you've
got a newer process (like manufacturing process) chip that is running an
older graphics card setup. A newer chip which is cheap, or perhaps a
flawed version of an awesome chip (they can disable sections of the
silicon), running slower and such, generates less heat, and performs to
the older video card spec.

I couldn't find anything that details this specifically, but it's how
CPUS are handled and priced.

David