[SATLUG] Ubuntu 10.04 Remote Desktop

Richard Suberg rsuberg at satx.rr.com
Fri Jan 7 13:39:05 CST 2011

On 1/7/2011 10:43 AM, Borries Demeler wrote:
>> On 01/07/2011 10:09 AM, Borries Demeler wrote:
>>> I think your best bet is to use VNC. You will need to run a VNC
server on the
>>> remote machine, and a VNC viewer (client) on your local machine.
Either machine
>>> can be either Linux, Windows or Mac. The remote machine needs to have
the server
>>> port opened, if it isn't already, it is usually 5900 + the display
>>> On Windows the default display is zero. More information at
>>> but there are other packages that offer the same vnc technology.
>>> -borrie
>> Thank you. I'm somewhat overwhelmed. I'll continue the struggle a
>> while and report back.
>> Andy
> Andy, we can take that step by step:
> 1. download the server from
> 2. extract on izzy.local (tar -xvf tightvnc-1.3.10_unixsrc.tar.bz2)
> 3. vnc_unixsrc/Xvnc
> 4. ./configure
> 5. make
> 6. make install
> test the server:
> 7. vncserver :1
> 8. it will ask you to set up a password for vnc connections
> 9. now go to another computer that has vncviewer installed (precompiled
> binaries for Windows are available from www.tightvnc.com) and type:
> vncviewer izzy.local:1
> provide password, and you should be seeing the server window.
> Anyone, if anything I am saying is incorrect please correct me.
> -borries
>> --
I use a combination of ssh/xming and vnc for remote desktop to a linux
box. The vnc option I found was much easier, and IIRC you can even do
apt-get install vnc4server
for ubuntu.  Another thing I noticed is when i vnc from windows to
ubuntu, I don't specify a display number, and it manages to find one
that is already running (the x screen that is running on the box
itself, without creating a new one).
Setting up the ssh for forwarding x to xming is a course I am going to
have to repeat since I am getting another setup running, but not
looking forward to it. It gives me problems from time to time in
reference to an invalid magic-cookie, which in itself is another trick
to fight.

Richard S

- --
Thunderbird Portable...it goes with me!