[SATLUG] Monitor res in Ubuntu 10.04

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Fri Jan 7 23:13:31 CST 2011

Hi mark, Thanks for your input. Referring back to my orig post I did get this fixed shortly after installing 10.04. I recently had HD failure and .. my bad!! My notes had not been backed up, so gone but it did involve creating a config file and adding the preferred mode from gtf output into the screen sec.

I can use the puter as is but max screen hides the scroll bar and top bar making it difficult to go back to smaller window. LOL I'm ok till I forget.

I would like to know how to do it again if u will please guide me. Also I would very much appreciate any tips and comments u have to help me learn what I am doing.
TIA

... James please continue with your help, I also would like to know why xandra is failing and get that sorted out. I just gotta learn this stuf. What does it mean when it says 'bad name' is the screen name VGA1 what it is referring to? A google I read had the code shown same as we tried but had VGA-1 is that a clue? Also you have two set commands both the current and the new is that so that 2x-uparrow/enter will revert back without hassle?

I also see that the failure is occurring with the first command: xrandr --newmode "1280x1024_75.00"  138.54  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1025 1028 1069  -HSync +Vsync
X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)???? I didn't see that ref in the man pg.

hh

There are some things that you can not do without an xorg.conf. I guess
you consider limiting options an advancement then it would be. Grub2
added extensive functionality so it was a true step forward. I don't
think it is a reasonable comparison.

Xrandr does not always detect all of the capabilities of a monitor and
video card. Getting the full use out of your hardware should not be
considered a step backward.