[SATLUG] Monitor res in Ubuntu 10.04

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Sat Jan 8 16:41:50 CST 2011

HC;

I did a google search over badname and xrandr to see if anyone else had a
similar situation and came across this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/851704/xrandr-errors-badname-named-color-or-font-does-not-exist

Some people had success using a different name such as "1080i" instead of
"1280x768". From the looks of your xrandr output, you already do have a
resolution mode named 1280x768, so this might be the problem.

Nope here is a frest screen of
herb at herb-Aelf:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA1 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   1360x768       59.8
   1024x768       60.0*
   800x600        60.3     56.2
   848x480        60.0
   640x480        59.9     59.9
  1280x1024_75.00 (0x11b)  138.0MHz
        h: width  1280 start 1368 end 1504 total 1728 skew    0 clock   79.9KHz
        v: height 1024 start 1025 end 1028 total 1069           clock   74.7Hz
  1280x1024_60.00 (0x11e)  109.0MHz
        h: width  1280 start 1368 end 1496 total 1712 skew    0 clock   63.7KHz
        v: height 1024 start 1027 end 1034 total 1063           clock   59.9Hz
herb at herb-Aelf:~$
the SVA manual specs says that the native res for this unit is 1280x1024 at 75 and I know from prior op that this res is correct. It is this name? that is desired. In fact it is running on 1024x768 60.0* and it works cool, no flickers and stable but when max screen is used it prints correctly on left and bottom border but prints above the top border about 3/8" and same overflow to the right so I cannot see either the Top window title bar nor the scroll bar to the R. As previously stated the puter is usable as long as I do not max a window

In another instance, the settings were already programmed and he just had to
-addmode and --output. Might be good to check around to see if anything
follows your situation exactly.

Well xrandr does not see 1280x1024 and so this leaves the failure of the addmode command critical

I have found several post that deal with this exact res and the fix is the same commands that you furnished but the addmode command fails I am now pursuing the definition of the error code, 'badname-named-color-or-font-does-not-exist', so perhaps I can get it sorted out. From your latest post I get the idea that 1240x1024 is the bad name??

If so this really confuses me because it is a standard ratio and is being used currently on my SVA 17" on other box Aelf & Celf are Identical puters with exception that Aelf has 3gb-RAM & Celf only 1gb-RAM a;so U-10.04 xrandr auto found the correct res and Shazam.

VGA1 is the name my system uses to identify my monitor on my system. Yours
could be VGA-1 or VGA2 or some other such combination; perhaps not even VGA
if we use a different cord to connect to the board from the monitor.
Furthermore if we have two monitors, they will have different names (most
likely and if both monitors are connected at the same time, that is also a
bit compliucated.. would likely require an xorg file, as has been previously
suggested.

No complications this is only monitor connected to this box. and viewing the xrandr output above this monitor is named VGA1 no '-'.

As far as having difficulty reading the scroll bar in certain resolutions,
it sounds like the scrollbar is being printed to a virtual pixel only,
beyond the scope of the monitors physical ability. (At least at that ratio).
Luckily, 1280 and 768 are really pixel counts and are tweakable to your
hardware's configuration. 1280 would be horizontal and 768 would be
vertical. Try cutting 768 down 10 pixels and play with it till your
satisfied with your screens visibility. There are limits to how far you can
tweak it at the same refresh rate, so don't cut off more then say 30 pixels
without running a cvt and adding another resolution mode.

Ok I will mess around I figure I can't get in much trouble since a reboot will save me by auto-generating the usable res.

here is a current cvt
herb at herb-Aelf:~$ cvt -v 1280 1024 75
# 1280x1024 74.90 Hz (CVT 1.31M4) hsync: 80.30 kHz; pclk: 138.75 MHz
Modeline "1280x1024_75.00"  138.75  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1027 1034 1072 -hsync +vsync
herb at herb-Aelf:~$

I think I have to correct -HSync +Vsync. I'll try both outputs gtf & cvt, they differ a bit. Thanks guys, I will go to the sandbox fer while.
herb

Cheers,
Jameson