[SATLUG] Monitor res in Ubuntu 10.04

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 19:47:10 CST 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM,  <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

> HC;
>
> I did a google search over badname and xrandr to see if anyone else had a
> similar situation and came across this:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/851704/xrandr-errors-badname-named-color-or-font-does-not-exist
>
> Some people had success using a different name such as "1080i" instead of
> "1280x768". From the looks of your xrandr output, you already do have a
> resolution mode named 1280x768, so this might be the problem.
>
> In another instance, the settings were already programmed and he just had to
> -addmode and --output. Might be good to check around to see if anything
> follows your situation exactly.
>

> Heh, got it, thanks James.
>
> I assumed then that the term "1280x1024_60" was a placeholder (or sumpin of that nature) and there must already be one and since the command was not as root it refused to replace it so I tried this

Congratulations for working through this successfully by remote
control. Well done by all...
[CLI (Command Line Interface) Tips & Tricks]
As a general rule I always either use "sudo" in front of all commands
or, for extended sessions, I do "sudo su -" for a "root" window any
time I am working outside of my "echo $HOME" directory. "root" will
then own all changes. If there is a conflict you can always "sudo" and
change "root" ownership and permissions to individual ownership. I
find this saves me a lot of grief and confusion.

> xrandr --newmode "1024P"  138.75  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1027 1034 1072 -HSync +Vsync
> xrandr --addmode VGA1 "1024P"
> xrandr --output VGA1 --mode "1024P"
>

> it worked but still overflowed the screen. So I restarted x and since others were using that res at 60hz I decided to use that as:
>
> xrandr --newmode "1280x1024_60.00"  108.88  1280 1360 1496 1712  1024 1025 1028 1060  -HSync +Vsync
> xrandr --addmode VGA1 "1280x1024_60.00"
> xrandr --output VGA1 --mode "1280x1024_60.00"
>
> I entered the commands one at a time and it worked super so now I have the screen centered proper and at the correct res.... I then went to Sys/Prefs/Monitor and the setting was showing in the choices. where before it was not. I clicked apply and I have not rebooted so dunno yet if that 'apply' set it permanent or not.

[Handy X reference page]
<http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/XWindow-User-HOWTO.html>
[Page excerpt]
4.2.1. Special Key Mappings
There are several special key mappings traditionally used in XFree86.

Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace - Will kill the X server process in an orderly
fashion. This is a quick, easy, legitimate way to restart X. Note it
does not restart the display manager (if used) -- just X itself.

Ctrl-Alt-Fx - where "x" corresponds to a valid tty number (typically
1-6). This is typically used to jump to a text console login, while X
remains running. To get back to X, then it is "Alt-Fx". In this case,
"x" represents one plus the last tty (e.g. Alt-F7 if there are six
available ttys).

Ctrl-Alt-keypad+ and Ctrl-Alt-keypad- - That is the plus and minus
keys on the keypad. This will cycle through any existing valid screen
resolution "Modes", e.g. 1024x768 -> 600x800. Note the actual screen
size is the same -- just the view and resolution changes. Not all that
useful for most purposes. You cannot permanently change the screen
resolution without restarting X.

It's possible your Window Manager, Desktop Environment or other system
component may trap these, and alter the standard behavior. In
addition, the Ctrl-Alt-Delete may be trapped as well. This should shut
X (and the system) down orderly, if it is available.
[End Page excerpt]

All this information is contained in "man xorg" but I find this easier
to understand...

[Does Logout restart X?]
Re: Is a logout/login the same as restarting X?
Logging out does not restart X. To restart X you have to
ctrl+alt+backspace or "sudo killall gdm", for example. Conversely
though, killing X will log out all users who have logged in through
GDM. (gdm/GDM=Gnome Display Manager)
[End Does Logout restart X]

Both "Reboot (init 6)" and "Shutdown (init 0)" perform a "Logout"
before stopping all the system processes.

[A Really Interesting Use of X Display Managers]
3.2. Display Managers
The other, more common, approach is the "GUI log-in", where X is
running before log-in. This is done with the help of a "display
manager", of which there are various implementations. XFree86 includes
xdm (X Display Manager) for this purpose, though your distribution may
use one of the others such as gdm (GNOME) or kdm (KDE).

Display managers really do much more than enable GUI style log-ins.
They are also used to manage local as well as remote "displays" on a
network. We won't get into details on this here, but it is nicely
covered in the Remote X Apps Mini HOWTO and the XDMCP HOWTO (see the
links section). For our purposes here, they provide similar services
to getty and login, which allow users to log into a system and start
their default shell, but in a GUI environment.

Here is an example of a more advanced usage of what else a display
manager might be used for, from Diego Zamboni:

I have two X sessions running with different resolutions. I switch
between them depending on whether my laptop is connected to an
external monitor or using its own LCD display.

Here's my /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file that initiates both displays:
see <http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/XWindow-User-HOWTO.html>
[End X Display Managers excerpt]