[SATLUG] OT: Looking for some RAM & a question

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 10 22:55:21 CST 2011

A week ago, I picked up a couple of the servers that Storey was trying
to get rid of, and it looks like one of them can be resurrected if I can
locate some RAM for it.  I researched the specs for it (a SuperMicro
SuperChassis, model 742S-420), and it apparently needs the following:

     DDR266/200 registered ECC SDRAM 72-bit, 184-pin gold-plated DIMMs
(must be populated in pairs)

I'm not the most knowledgeable about memory types, but I think this
would also be described as PC2100 memory (please correct me if I'm
wrong).  Also, it can use memory in the following capacities:

     128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB

Does anyone have any they would be willing to part with (cheap) or maybe
just loan me so that I can at least verify that the system does work
before I spend a significant amount of money to load it up?

I also had a question about the memory specs:  Does the use of the term
"registered" refer to the memory coming in matched pairs, or is it
something else?

TIA.

Al Lesmerises