[SATLUG] Looking for a multi-function printer

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Jan 11 12:29:58 CST 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:08, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a multi-function printer that works on Mac, Linux,
> Windows and possibly my Droid phone.

I have the HP Officejet 6500 dwn (Duplex, Wireless, Network) and it works on
all my OS's.  In this case, the HP windows software sucks, as to simply add
a device (I have several different HP AIO units), you have to re run the
install package.  Not great, but more of an exception.

> What I'd like to have is a laser printer (monochrome or color). I'm not too
> concerned about faxing (I
> don't have a land line), but scanning/copying are a must, especially
> the ability to scan both sides and print both sides of the paper.

Auto-duplex scanning is expensive, especially if you are looking for network
connected devices.  I have not found a sub $1K scanner unit that works with
Linux and is network connected.  In the direct-connect (USB) arena, there
may be a Fujitsu SnapScan USB unit or the like, but I have not shopped for
direct connected units.

To be clear, a non-auto duplex unit requires manual intervention to get the
other side of the paper (a flip), while an auto-duplex ADF (Auto Document
Feeder) makes 2 passes automatically to get both sides of the page (ie has
an auto flipper).

I have scanned several thousand double-sided documents with my 6500, and it
requires 2 manual steps: 1 to flip the pages over in the ADF to scan the
"even" side, and 2 to re-arrange the ordering so that the "evens" are
between the "odds".  ie a 3 page scan order is Even, Even, Even,
Odd, Odd, Odd; but you want the final order to be Even, Odd, Even,
Odd, Even, Odd.

In the form of an AIO (all in one), I have not seen an auto-duplex scanner
unit at all, regardless of connectivity.  Would love to see anyone out there
has!

> I can take all connections, but preferably it should have USB and LAN
> (optional wireless).

My 6500 has wireless, but proved so unusable via WIFI that I have it
connected via LAN, which is exponentially more reliable with this device.

I never use the USB with a Network Connected device, as all my devices have
network, so I have not seen the use-case.

HTH,
John