Re: [SATLUG] Monitor res in Ubuntu 10.04 (SET PERMANANT)

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Wed Jan 12 02:30:29 CST 2011

It is a crispy cold night in Bedias, my newly constructed greenhouse is getting its first test below 25f ambient.

So being awake watching the remote unit inside the GH at the mid top position the reading is 23.4f ambient and it is reading 31.7 inside. I have a single 1500W space heater inside the 10'x20'x8' space and if it gets colder I have to go out and light the propane warm water circulating sys that will protect this space down to low teens.

The above visual is why I decided it would be a cool time to finish up the help you guys gave me with the screen glitch.

I have played a lot with this and the fix is now permanent and these ol eyes are indeed grateful. This resolution is great I have enough real-estate to see large scapes in the correct ratios, I think to describe the visual discontinuity it  would compare to a off tone note in music equal to fingernails on a chalk board for those old enough to remember them, heh.

Back to the subject... in case any non programmers like me were following this here is the summary and permanent fix.

For some unexplained reason upgrading from Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 left me with an incorrect monitor res, usable but not right. In the past I had gone to Xorg.config and adden the 'modeline' to fix that but now Ubuntu does not auto use that file so it is not even there and the settings are generated each boot by detection. (The claim is this is progress) So with cool help I learned about this and how to use the tools to make this better, I am being verbose but I found this an interesting trip. I am becoming less wary of the CLI and this xrandr tool is cool cause kind of hard to get into trouble since all changes made by the commands are temp and restarting X undoos it all. I then played with tweeking and changing stuf and after going tru a weird deal described before finally got xrandr to find the "1280x1024_60" desired once over that hurdle I got it to refind that every time I had to boot.

Here is the non-blah blah blah:
My monitor is SVA-9005L 19"LCD native res is 1280x1024 at 75 however the sys does not like that and wants 1280 1024 60  ...duh...
Generate the math for the 'modelide'

Step 1.  gtf....   "1280x1024_60.00"  108.88  1280 1360 1496 1712  1024 1025 1028 1060  -HSync +Vsync

Step 2.  sudo gedit /etc/gdm/Init/Default  this spawns the file to enter the commands  following the lines:
** (to modify xrandr early during boot-up to provide it with the correct 'modeline in the dynamically generated Xorg.config settings ...

**(find this section)

  	PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH
	OLD_IFS=$IFS
**(paste these commands)
xrandr --newmode "1280x1024_60.00"  108.88  1280 1360 1496 1712  1024 1025 1028 1060  -HSync +Vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA1 "1280x1024_60.00"
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode "1280x1024_60.00"

save file and close then restart box.

The end ... done

Thanks to all and I appreciate James explaining so carefully

herb
btw temp inside GH is now 28.2 so looks like I wrap up and go turn the main heat on. sigh but I have 165 green plants and two 2mo old kittens to keep warm, lol.
nite guys

James sez

No, if the system doesnt detect the resolution on the fly, you'll have to
enter the commands (or have a script enter the commands) every login. Thats
simple enough, you can add it to GDM and everything will be set
automatically on login.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Setting%20xrandr%20changes%20persistently

That link should get you started,

good luck HC