[SATLUG] ftp and kerberos auth problem

Chris Hudson chrishudson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 07:21:43 CST 2011

I have a RHEL 5.4 server and I am trying to ftp to ftp.perl.org from it.
I'm behind a firewall and proxy, but have been assured that ftp is open.
Other Windows servers in the network can get out to ftp.perl.org anonymously
no problem, without going through proxy.  When I try to get to it, I get:

$ ftp ftp.perl.org
Connected to ftp.cpan.ddns.develooper.com.
220-FTP authentication :
220
500-Syntax error -- unknown command
500
500-Syntax error -- unknown command
500
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
Name (ftp.perl.org:cjh7hbz):

 I have googled and found a number of posts on the kerberos problem, but
nothing has worked for me so far.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris