[SATLUG] New camera prob

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Sun Jan 16 00:48:28 CST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: hc at lookcee.com
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2011 18:58
To: "The San Antonio Linux User's Group Mailing List" <satlug at satlug.org>
Subject: [SATLUG] New camera prob

Hi all, I run Ubuntu-10.04 plenty mem and P-IV-3.2 my cam died and just replaced wi Kodak C-182. Gnome does not see it auto so I tried F-spot nj, then after googling I found several clients to try but nj on any and most recommended was 'Shotwell'.  ('shotwell' say "The camera is locked by another application.  'Shotwell' can only access the camera when it's unlocked.  Please close any other application using the camera and try again".) I have found a lot of pages on this prob. but I cannot really understand how to find out what has taken over the camera when it is tethered, dunno what to do.

My next move is to un-install all of the camera type progs then install 'shotwell' alone if Gnome does not see it on boot. My head tells me that surely there are commands I could use to unlock the cam or to at least find out 'who' has grabbed it. However, ignorance blocks that path.

Any suggestions to try before I start down the de-installing?
Thanks herb

Still not sleepy so ....
I un-installed all usb camera viewers and no see on reboot, reinstalled Shotwell and got a diff error .. Unable to fetch previews from the camera:
Unspecified error (-1)

I remember seeing some text bout getting the sys to mount the camera as a drive instead of mass storage so I will google that lead but any help sur wud be welcome.

I will have either a new camera or a SD card for it in a week or two. (live rural, can't drive) I am anxious to see the results from this 12.7 mega-pixel (boggles the mind) tiny non-operative miracle. I mean crap I got Kittens for xmas, and green stuff growing in my new Green House ... the record is vital to posterity, doncha think? .. ! me sum code...please
lol hh