[SATLUG] New camera prob

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Sun Jan 16 13:31:33 CST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: "John Pappas" <j at jvpappas.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:41
To: "The San Antonio Linux User's Group Mailing List" <satlug at satlug.org>
Subject: Re: [SATLUG] New camera prob

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 21:17, <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mark but Kodak does not support linux with it's install software so
> this should work tru simply connecting the cam and having the USB drivers
> set it up as a file system ..

My camera is not directly supported, and uses a wonky USB cable, but does
support copy/move from internal mem to SC, so when I forget to replace the
card, I can still get the pics off.  Check the menus on the camera, and this
may be easier than trying to get USB Mass Storage (Usually a menu item as
well) working to access the camera directly.  Usually, you can select a USB
mode of Mass Storage to avoid the driver issue.

That is my understanding anyway. Also consider that 'shotwell does see the
> cam and finds it locked... locked by whom is my question but I do not know
> how to ask. I ran 'hwinfo' and  ( I cannot understand it perhaps someone
> can) here are the failure lines I think:

Do a `lsusb` so that we can see how it is being picked up as well...

Ditto.  I have not had to install any specific drivers once I got the USB
mode and mem copy items worked out.

HTH,
john

herb at herb-Aelf:~$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 21-in-1 Flash Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
herb at herb-Aelf:~$

hmmmm ya know what is showing here is the card reader that has 3 extension USB ports so that I can avoid trying to reach the back of the box.

I am gonna reconnect it straight to one of the back ports and see if this is the prob,

I did go tru all the menu options and can find no setting for choice of importexport type

Thanks James no I did not see that link and I will try that this afternoon and report back. Unfortunantly the weather has me down today so I am moving slow.
thanks all, I am learning slowly.
hh