[SATLUG] WordPress / Apache problem on Ubuntu

Eric Haugen erichaugen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 12:33:56 CST 2011

I think we are having a permissions issue on one of our test
webservers.  In order for WordPress to function correctly Apache needs
to have recursive ownership of /var/www/ (or whatever directory for a
virtual host).  It seems to be working fine except for when our
outside developer needs to get in and make adjustments to the theme.
At that time he claims he is "locked out".  After the phone call I
then have to go in and recursively change the permissions to his
username for the duration of his session.

Is there a way I can modify the permissions so our developer can get
in when they need to, while at the same time have our person who is
transferring content from the old site be able to make changes through
the WordPress interface?

Thanks in advance,
Eric Haugen