[SATLUG] WordPress / Apache problem on Ubuntu

Nate pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 15:04:34 CST 2011

On 1/18/11 12:33 PM, Eric Haugen wrote:
> I think we are having a permissions issue on one of our test
> webservers.  In order for WordPress to function correctly Apache needs
> to have recursive ownership of /var/www/ (or whatever directory for a
> virtual host).  It seems to be working fine except for when our
> outside developer needs to get in and make adjustments to the theme.
> At that time he claims he is "locked out".  After the phone call I
> then have to go in and recursively change the permissions to his
> username for the duration of his session.
>
> Is there a way I can modify the permissions so our developer can get
> in when they need to, while at the same time have our person who is
> transferring content from the old site be able to make changes through
> the WordPress interface?

the main directories in a Wordpress installation need to be set up with
the permissions of 755, and on occasion it is necessary to change the
'wordpress-directory/wp-content/uploads' and
'wordpress-directory/wp-content/upgrades' directories to 777. That may
scare a lot of you sysadmins, but it is sometimes necessary to get WP to
install plugins and perform updates to WP and its plugins using the
automated tools. Everything should work with the permissions of 755, but
sometimes that just doesn't work.

Can't you give your developer the ability to manipulate those
directories? Any host I've ever used would allow for changing directory
permissions on one's own user account.

~Nate