[SATLUG] WordPress / Apache problem on Ubuntu

Eric Haugen erichaugen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 15:59:17 CST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Nate <pixelnate at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/18/11 12:33 PM, Eric Haugen wrote:
>>
>> I think we are having a permissions issue on one of our test
>> webservers.  In order for WordPress to function correctly Apache needs
>> to have recursive ownership of /var/www/ (or whatever directory for a
>> virtual host).  It seems to be working fine except for when our
>> outside developer needs to get in and make adjustments to the theme.
>> At that time he claims he is "locked out".  After the phone call I
>> then have to go in and recursively change the permissions to his
>> username for the duration of his session.
>>
>> Is there a way I can modify the permissions so our developer can get
>> in when they need to, while at the same time have our person who is
>> transferring content from the old site be able to make changes through
>> the WordPress interface?
>
> the main directories in a Wordpress installation need to be set up with the
> permissions of 755, and on occasion it is necessary to change the
> 'wordpress-directory/wp-content/uploads' and
> 'wordpress-directory/wp-content/upgrades' directories to 777. That may scare
> a lot of you sysadmins, but it is sometimes necessary to get WP to install
> plugins and perform updates to WP and its plugins using the automated tools.
> Everything should work with the permissions of 755, but sometimes that just
> doesn't work.
>
> Can't you give your developer the ability to manipulate those directories?
> Any host I've ever used would allow for changing directory permissions on
> one's own user account.

Being that it is a test site, we are hosting it ourselves.  Its also
currently installed in the default directory /var/www.

chmod 755 does seem to work but no offense to who any SATLUGers whom
this doesn't belong, but I am yet to meet a full time developer who
has the slightest clue of what ssh and sudo are much less how they
work.