[SATLUG] OpenSUSE & Scientific Linux fails to 'see' SCSI drives on install

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Tue Jan 18 22:00:41 CST 2011

I'm trying to install a couple different distros on a system I recently
picked up (a SuperMicro SuperServer using a couple SCSI drives as the
primary HD's), but neither OpenSUSE nor Scientific Linux (supposed to be
based on "Enterprise Linux") 'sees' those SCSI drives when I try to run
the 'Install' programs.

I searched the OpenSUSE forums and Googled the subject, but found a lot
of stuff unrelated to my problem.  The closest I found was a suggestion
to enter:

insmod=i2o_scsi

as a boot parameter during installation, but that had no effect at all.

By comparison, when I tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop, it saw the
drives w/no problem at all, and I can boot-up into Ubuntu cleanly.

Does anyone have any ideas?  TIA.

Al Lesmerises