[SATLUG] WordPress / Apache problem on Ubuntu

Josh Lavin satlug at jlavin.com
Wed Jan 19 16:08:43 CST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Samuel Leon <satlug at net153.net> wrote:
> On 01/18/2011 12:33 PM, Eric Haugen wrote:
>>
>> I think we are having a permissions issue on one of our test
>> webservers.  In order for WordPress to function correctly Apache needs
>> to have recursive ownership of /var/www/ (or whatever directory for a
>> virtual host).  It seems to be working fine except for when our
>> outside developer needs to get in and make adjustments to the theme.
>> At that time he claims he is "locked out".  After the phone call I
>> then have to go in and recursively change the permissions to his
>> username for the duration of his session.
>>
>> Is there a way I can modify the permissions so our developer can get
>> in when they need to, while at the same time have our person who is
>> transferring content from the old site be able to make changes through
>> the WordPress interface?

Most servers running PHP do so with some sort of set-user jail, so
that the PHP pages can be owned by their own user. You should look at
suPHP, or else have a separate instance of Apache/PHP for your user
and set the User/Group directives to that user (but let root own
Apache itself).

You will find that any other scenario will prevent the WordPress
automatic update function.

Best,
Josh