[SATLUG] OpenSUSE & Scientific Linux fails to 'see' SCSI drives on install

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 20 07:28:15 CST 2011

On 1/18/2011 11:26 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Alan Lesmerises wrote:
>> I'm trying to install a couple different distros on a system I
>> recently picked up (a SuperMicro SuperServer using a couple SCSI
>> drives as the primary HD's), but neither OpenSUSE nor Scientific
>> Linux (supposed to be based on "Enterprise Linux") 'sees' those SCSI
>> drives when I try to run the 'Install' programs.
>>
>> I searched the OpenSUSE forums and Googled the subject, but found a
>> lot of stuff unrelated to my problem.  The closest I found was a
>> suggestion to enter:
>>
>> insmod=i2o_scsi
>>
>> as a boot parameter during installation, but that had no effect at all.
>>
>> By comparison, when I tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop, it saw
>> the drives w/no problem at all, and I can boot-up into Ubuntu cleanly.
>
> dmesg | lesss
>
> in the ubuntu system.  See what driver is detecting the drives.
>
> Then make sure that driver is installed on the other distro.  If they
> are boot drives, then the drivers may need to be installed in the initrd.
>
> Personally, I prefer to build my own kernels without modules, but with
> the support for the hardware I know I have.  No initrd required.  YMMV.
>
>   -- Bruce

Bruce, I don't think you understand -- I don't have either OpenSUSE or
Scientific Linux installed _YET_.  I'm trying to install them from the
DVD, so I'm stuck with whatever was put in the initrd (or whatever) when
they built the DVD image.  I need to know if there's a command-line
parameter that I can include when the live Linux disk boots.

I ran dmesg, but I didn't see anything that says what kind of driver
it's using to talk to the SCSI drives (I only saw a mention of a generic
SCSI driver).  Also, the other installs are being made to a completely
clean drive -- the Ubuntu install is removed when I do it.

Al Lesmerises

(I tried to respond to you yesterday with the dmesg output included, but
that e-mail is in limbo because it's supposedly too big).