[SATLUG] OpenSUSE & Scientific Linux fails to 'see' SCSI drives on install

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 20 12:15:07 CST 2011

On 1/20/2011 11:03 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Alan Lesmerises wrote:
>
>> Bruce, I don't think you understand -- I don't have either OpenSUSE
>> or Scientific Linux installed _YET_.  I'm trying to install them from
>> the DVD, so I'm stuck with whatever was put in the initrd (or
>> whatever) when they built the DVD image.  I need to know if there's a
>> command-line parameter that I can include when the live Linux disk
>> boots.
>
> OK.  Can you boot to the install disks?  I guess I don't understand if
> the install is not working or the boot is not working.
>
>> (I tried to respond to you yesterday with the dmesg output included,
>> but that e-mail is in limbo because it's supposedly too big).
>
> Copy large files to http://pastebin.com/ and paste the link.  No need
> to clutter up mailboxes of people who are not interested.
>
>   -- Bruce

Yes, the install DVDs boot just fine, and they go through their paces
normally, but they don't detect ANY hard drives at all (there are 2,
both SCSI).  They say something like "you need to install a hard drive"
or "no hard drives detected".

The dmesg output can be viewed at "pastebin.com/p4ugQJrn" (if I'm doing
that right ...).

TIA.

Al Lesmerises