[SATLUG] OpenSUSE & Scientific Linux fails to 'see' SCSI drives on install

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 20 16:22:25 CST 2011

On 1/20/2011 3:10 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Alan Lesmerises wrote:
>>
>> Yes, the install DVDs boot just fine, and they go through their paces
>> normally, but they don't detect ANY hard drives at all (there are 2,
>> both SCSI).  They say something like "you need to install a hard
>> drive" or "no hard drives detected".
>>
>> The dmesg output can be viewed at "pastebin.com/p4ugQJrn" (if I'm
>> doing that right ...).
>
> Yes, you are doing it exactly right.
>
> I see:
>
> Block layer SCSI generic (bsg) driver version 0.4 loaded (major 253)
>
> ata1: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x1f0 ctl 0x3f6 bmdma 0x1460 irq 14
> ata2: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0x1468 irq 15
>
> Indicates to me that the hardware is seen.
>
> scsi 0:0:0:0: CD-ROM    SONY     DVD-ROM DDU1621  S1.6 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
> sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 16x/40x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
>
> It definitely sees the CD-ROM
>
> Detecting Adaptec I2O RAID controllers...
>   alloc irq_desc for 72 on node -1
>   alloc kstat_irqs on node -1
>
> Adaptec I2O RAID controller 0 irq=72
>   BAR0 f8080000 - size= 100000
>   BAR1 f8200000 - size= 1000000
>
> scsi 2:1:0:0: Direct-Access SEAGATE  ST336607LW   0007 PQ: 0 ANSI: 3
>
> sdb: sda1 sda2 < sdb1
>  [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
>  sda5 >
>
> Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic
> root=UUID=e997e0e4-5c87-458c-a682-b46f92deaf8d ro quiet splash
>
> I don't know waht your partition values would be, but I always like to
> use root=/dev/sda3 (or whatever is right)
>
> It's not clear which booted system the dmesg is from, but it looks
> like the one you posted found the disks.  I don't think I can help any
> further, but it really looks like a driver problem to me.
>
>   -- Bruce

The dmesg is from the Ubuntu install (I forgot to specify that -- my
bad), and it would HAVE to see the drives -- it's booting from one of
them.  I just don't understand why it's calling the CD-ROM a SCSI drive
when it's actually an IDE, and the hard drives are referred-to as PATA
when they're SCSI's!!!

The partition layout is from the default Ubuntu settings.

So the question is, what kind of driver comes on the OpenSUSE or
Scientific Linux DVDs (or is there one that I can download from
somewhere?), and what command I need to give them (when they boot from
the DVD) to get them to see the SCSI drives ...

Al Lesmerises