[SATLUG] Looking for an OLD computer

C P sargonemail at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 22:15:48 CST 2011

Actually, I think if you run FreeDos on a hand-held phone while
downloading/viewing a
few live-feed videos you might reach 286 speeds.  At least until your
monthly bandwidth
quota is exceeded. :)

Have you looked at gnuradio and OpenBTS?
Yeah, I realize this involves "new" hardward at least beyond 286 level but,
not doesn't have to be beyond 500MHz cpu level.
http://gnuradio.org/

As long as you're not talking about maintaining original Fortran code
(punch card era '60-90's),
and the "fortran" programmer made good use of the OO features of
fortran; it's not to bad --
with cpp macro processing to eliminate the reserved character spaces
at the beginning of
each "punch-card" line. :)

It'd likely be easier to assemble a 'new' z80 computer from scratch
than trying find the appropriate cooling solution for a working 286.

Craig