[SATLUG] cron sudo task

Matt Martz matt at sivel.net
Tue Jan 25 11:31:09 CST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Richard Suberg <rsuberg at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a task that is scheduled with cron and it runs the task,
> however, since it mounts a remote ftp server into the filesystem (and
> I haven't figured out the parameters for fstab) for it to actually be
> productive and mount it needs to be run root. I can manually run the
> task as sudo and it completes ok, but how can I cron the sudo run of
> the very same script without needing a password? I know running an ftp
> update script (or any script) as root is not the best security
> practice, but it is the only way I have found to accomplish this.
> Unless someone has a better suggestion, the process involved is:
>
> 1- mount ftp server into filesystem
> 2- cp -uRv location from (1) into a folder on my computer
> 3- umount remote ftp server.
>
> Currently I use fuse for mounting, and I do not have control over what
> programs are loaded on the remote server, I just need to update my
> documentation based on what they update.  Any ideas?
>
> Richard

You can update /etc/sudoers to allow the user to run certain command
without requiring a password.  I wouldn't allow the user to run a
script that has a bunch of commands in it, as anyone able to modify
that file could execute the commands with elevated privs, but just
specifying certain commands may work...

--
Matt Martz
matt at sivel.net