[SATLUG] OT: RAID setup recommendations

Eli D. Cantu satlug at then7.org
Wed Jan 26 17:49:39 CST 2011

>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Alan Lesmerises<alesmerises at satx.rr.com
>> >wrote:
>>> Since there are so many practicing sysadmin types on the list, I'd like
>>> get some recommendations for a RAID setup on a server I have based on
>>> your
>>> real-world experiences.  The server has 7 hot-swappable SCSI drives (that
>>> plan to fully populate) and I wanted to use it as file repository/backup
>>> location for other PC's we have on our home network.  Speed is not a
>>> priority, but data integrity is.
>>>  From what I have read, there are several ways I could configure the
>>> RAID,
>>> but there are pros&  cons with each.  So what I'd like to know is what
>>> would
>>> be your recommendations for the RAID and why?
>>> TIA.
>>> Al Lesmerises
>>> --
> I'm getting a bunch of 184 GB drives to use in the array.  Initially, I
> expect the total amount of data to be stored there to be around 250-300 GB
> total (maybe less), but I expect it to grow over time.
> I'm running Linux (natch) -- I'm going to try OpenSUSE to start, but that
> may change.  BTW, if there are particular apps that would facilitate
> management & maintenance of the RAID, please let me know.
> If there are other specifics you need me to provide, let me know.
> Al Lesmerises

Consider this:  Enterprise raid factors in robust hardware replacement and

Without replacement hardware ready at hand or quickly retrievable,
enterprise hardware raid, in my book, would be more of a deficit.

Assuming you're going to use hardware raid based on the fact that you
mention hot swap scsi drives, imagine that you have a controller failure, or
a backplane failure, or mobo failure ...you could be without your data for a
long time.

Give me linux raid any day of the week instead.   If the server or
controllers die, no problem, just move all the drives to a replacement
server, which could be a $250 off the shelf built PC.  As long as it's scsi
to scsi, sata to sata, or pata to pata.

That's my two cents.