[SATLUG] OT: RAID setup recommendations

Eli D. Cantu satlug at then7.org
Thu Jan 27 10:54:21 CST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Eli Daniel Cantu <elidanielcantu at gmail.com
> wrote:

> ...this is true but as long as the equipment is relatively new a mobo,
>>
>> backplane, or controller failure is pretty unlikely.  Hardware failure
>> on these items is rare.  Furthermore if you are doing backups (with
>> images) properly then re-imaging a hard drive should mitigate this
>> possibility.
>>
>> That said it is always a good idea to have these replacement parts on
>> hand.  An example:
>>
>> recently we had to switch one of out clients was having problems with
>> one of their on-board NICs and they requested that they be moved to a
>> new server. They were on a dell 2850 with a RAID5 setup on 6 drives, I
>> was able to move them to a new (relatively speaking) Dell 2850.  the
>> drives were recognized and I had the system up and running within a
>> hour.
>>
>> As far as the RAID setup goes I would recommend a hardware RAID10 setup
>> with a hot-spare. This will give redundancy and allow you to be prepared
>> for a hard drive failure.
>>
>> Todd

I agree.  ...and it really comes down to specifics.

I think that home & small office file servers should be mirrored and
snapshotted.  Consumer grade kit is so cheap, I can't see a reason not to.

If I  somehow came into possession of real server hardware and decided to
use it at  the house, I'd redeploy an older (cheap) desktop with a couple of
large sata drives to act as a backup server, i.e. something to rsync to, and
create snapshots of the data.

Eli