[SATLUG] OT: RAID setup recommendations

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 11:16:03 CST 2011

Re: SCSI Raid

I once was a SCSI afficionado.  That time is past.  The nail in the coffin
was the introduction
of SATA drives.  Yes, I know that technology has been available for quite a
while.  That is how
long SCSI technology has been passe.

If you want RAID, there are many ways to do it without SCSI.  The most
reliable way is 100%
redundancy, mirroring.  You can now get 2TB of redundant storage capacity
for $200.

But not on SCSI.  You have to use current hard drive technology, SATA.  Use
the internal
connections if you have them or get external USB enclosures for the same
price.

SCSI was great in the early 90's.

Now?,  forget about it.

omg