[SATLUG] Browsing problem I hope the braintrust can solve

Scott Hensch sahensch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 22:27:50 CST 2011

To the communtiy,

Thanks for the quick responses.

I had already disabled all my plug-ins/add-ons.

I uninstalled firefox, but when I tried to re-install it, Package
manager acted just like the web browser, acted like it was
downloading, but didn't. So, it isn't just firefox. Now, I don't have
firefox installed. I used my other system to download the .deb files
from the repository, but I don't know how to make Package Manager look
at the files and NOT go on-line.

no one else uses this machine.

I can ping all over the place, there doesn't seem to be any
restriction on that. I can also tracert everywhere. Now that firefox
in uninstalled, it seems that the system itself isn't surfing.

I would like to see if I can get firefox re-installed if someone knows
how to get Package manager to NOT try to go on-line, and just look at
where I tell it to look.

Failing that, I'll do a complete system overhaul, and re-install 10.04.

OH yeah, I've to the Gnome desktop....I didn't change anything from
the original install.

As a bit of background, I was attempting to make my windows partition
run inside ubuntu without using any virtualization program. I had
completed the windows portion of the procedure, but when I booted back
into ubuntu, that's when the problems started. This all happened last
Thursday.