[SATLUG] Softmaker & Avast

Christopher Connell connell.christopher at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 16:06:54 CST 2011

Not attempting to make this an advertisement. I bought this program directly from them and it works pretty well.

The German company Softmaker makes a office program that is on par with Microsoft office and doesn't have some of the alignment issues I've noticed in Open Office. They have a trial version on their site. I got the full version for $35 cause I'm a student. They also have a forum that tech support answers within a day or two with direct contact to their development team which I thought was neat.

I also wanted to mention that I installed Avast just to see how it would run and it worked ok until I updated. I think their is something wrong with their software. The log file kicked back with:

"12:30:50 PM: Deleted stale lock file '/home/chris/.avast/lockfile-chris'.
12:30:53 PM: An error occured in avast! engine: Invalid argument"

I just installed Clam AV. As I suspected no viruses. Thank God for Linux. :-D

ps- Again not attempting to advertise for them, I have no affiliation just thought you guys would like to hear my review from an office program.