[SATLUG] Browsing problem I hope the braintrust can solve

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Mon Jan 31 17:57:35 CST 2011

>> I uninstalled firefox, but when I tried to re-install it, Package
>> manager acted just like the web browser, acted like it was
>> downloading, but didn't. So, it isn't just firefox.

It sounds as if it may be some sort of firewall script. The package
manager (typically) uses the http port as well.

Your package manager is stumbling as well.
You can ping.

Try:
nmap -p 80,8080 -A 74.125.227.9

Also try:
sudo apt-get update

and see what happens.

If you still have the loading problem then edit your sources.list file

sudo edit /etc/apt/sources.list

try putting # at the beginning of each line and add the line
ftp://ubuntu.mirror.ac.za/ubuntu-archive/dists/lucid main multiverse
universe

Try
sudo apt-get update

You should be able to update.

There is a way to do this in synaptic

Additionally try using epiphany and see if you have any luck.