[SATLUG] Hello.

Donald L Wilcox dwilcox at neonnightrider.com
Wed Jul 13 13:52:02 CDT 2011

Hi Keith,

I started with playing around on web servers, but the first real install I did was Arch Linux 0.96. It's a good distro to understand because most of the work (at least in 2005) has to be done by you. If you want a GUI desktop environment, you've got to find/install the packages, and in a few cases, I also had to compile a lot of software on my own. The biggest headache (and probably most helpful in learning Linux) was setting up wireless ethernet on Arch. Here's the URL: http://www.archlinux.org/

As for courses, I don't know of any. I take a class at UTSA that is "supposed" to teach Linux, but it hardly teaches it from a practical standpoint. It's just a convenient way of teaching C by compiling with gcc instead of whatever they have on XP.

Donald Wilcox
Web Developer
--
Phone: (210) 651-2087