[SATLUG] Hello.

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 06:48:04 CDT 2011

Hi Keith:

Welcome!

When you say you have dabbled, do you have a working Linux system now?
What is your objective: personal or employment?

Are you familiar with the terminology of the following statement:
Linux is a command-line Operating System with a GUI whereas
Windows is a graphical Operating System with a Command Line Interface.

Yes???

Have you written programs?
Do you script?
Do you know how to compile a program?
Is an executable synonymous with the terms program and software?

What is Gnome?
What is KDE?
What is Unity Desktop?

By asking these questions I am helping you to be prepared to research
and find the answers.  Different people use Linux for various objectives.
There is not one choice or answer.  This group can get you started,
but you must develop your own opinions.

Freedom from restriction is the name of the game.

Welcome to Linux.

Othniel