[SATLUG] Hello.

Mark Mayfield mark at kandm-solutions.com
Thu Jul 14 09:56:50 CDT 2011

	Yes SAC offers a few classes. Intro to PC Operating Systems covers the
basic of both Windows and Linux, including the GUI, command line,
numbering system (binary, octal, hexidecimal and decimal), absolute and
relative paths, IP addressing. If your knowledgeable in the basics of
these SAC also has UNIX I and II. The UNIX classes can cover Linux, BSD
or both. UNIX I covers basic commands (cp, mv, rmdir, top, ls, cd,
fdisk), permissions, basic scripting (also covers basics of sed and
awk), regular expressions and should run you through a standard install
and config. UNIX II will give you more detailed network addressing and
routing configurations as well configuring and running services (bind,
apache, inetd/xinetd). I have taken all of these classes and can tell
you that they provide alot of useful information/exercises but, at least
UNIX I and II require alot of out of class study to really understand
the material.

	I would recommend if you take a Unix class at SAC to take it with John
Baker, alot of people do not like his communication process but you can
learn alot from him if you put the effort in. The way he organizes the
classes and activities are very good. For UNIX II we installed Fedora 12
and OpenBSD virtual machines in KVM. We used the default NAT done by kvm
but added a seperate manually configured network with statically
assigned addresses. We did minimal installs and manually added the
Xservers and window managers. We installed and configured several
servers on both machines and tested them from the other. Example: we
tested the Linux Apache server from BSD and the BSD apache server from
Linux.

	I had an issue with the DNS name I configured for my apache virtual
host in BSD. There where a couple of things which had to be done for BSD
to use it's local bind server before its dhcp assigned DNS. Mr Baker sat
with and helped me work through the process of prepending the local bind
server so it came before the DHCP assigned server for name resolution.