[SATLUG] OT: Android phone recommendations

Nate pixelnate at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 21:39:11 CDT 2011

On 7/15/11 8:35 PM, Othniel Graichen wrote:
> The Sprint EVO works on the real 4G network -- not the me too 4G networks.
> It can operate as a wireless router for Linux laptops.  You cant get a 4G
> for
> a Linux laptop.  So a phone that duals as a hotspot is a plus.
>
> Nokia has a new phone which uses a Linux based OS to be released
> quite soon.  N8 or some such is the name.  or M8 "mate"
>
> dont know for sure.
>
> Smartphones are still not very smart.  YET.
>
> OMG
>
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Alan Lesmerises<alesmerises at satx.rr.com>wrote:
>
>> It looks like it's time for my wife&  I to replace our cell phones.  I've
>> been holding off getting one of the smart phones until the prices came down,
>> and it looks like they're a bit more reasonable now.  The only real question
>> at this point is, which one?
>>
>> For reasons that should be obvious for THIS group, I want to go with an
>> Android, but what kind of experiences have you had?  Do they all generally
>> connect with desktop PCs pretty readily, of are there some hoops you have to
>> jump through to get them to connect?  What about the differences between a
>> Windows PC&  a Linux system?
>>
>> Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Al,

If you have waited this long I would wait a couple more months so that
you can get one of the new dual core phones about to hit the market. I
only know of one Motorola (Droid III?) that is currently on the market
and they are on Verizon. In the near future almost all the phones will
be dual core.

And is there a reason why you are only looking at Android phones? The
Pre2 and soon the Pre3 run webOS which is essentially a web layer on top
of a linux kernel. In many ways it is more open than Android. While
there aren't any dual core phones in the pipeline, yet, the OS is
certainly worth considering by the crowd on this list. They can also be
used as modems on the VZW network, FYI, albeit at 3G (solid) speeds.

Besides the phone, when buying into a contract for a phone you have to
decide which network you want to go with. Sprint has the best, by far,
pricing models in the industry for smartphones, and they have the best
4G service at the moment. That said, VZW also has a real 4G network
worth considering, and their 3G service is very stable. Their prices,
however, are about the same as AT&T, which is to say very high. It will
cost you the most per month to go with VZW or AT&T. But you should stay
away from AT&T, at all costs. Everyone I know has problems with dropped
calls and slow data. I left them about a year ago in favor of VZW and
the change in service quality is very noticeable. And AT&T doesn't have
4G either, even though they claim to. Their 4G service (HSPA+ is
actually high-end 3G) is affectionately called 'faux gee' and won't give
you the speeds that LTE will.

Pretty much all the smartphone platforms will connect to the desktop.
iOS devices use iTunes, obviously, but Android and webOS phones can sync
with iTunes using DoubleTwist and HP has put together their own version
of songbird as part of their 'HP Play' service/system.

I hope that helps. Like I said, I would wait for the industry to ramp up
for the Christmas season (September-ish) for all the new hardware to
come out. By then dual-core phones will be becoming the norm, Android
will be moving to Ice Cream Sandwich (the merger of Gingerbread and
Honeycomb), and the Pre3 will be out. Of course they'll be another
iPhone by then, as well.

Good luck.

~Nate