[SATLUG] OT: Android phone recommendations

Geoff Edmonson w5omr at att.net
Sat Jul 16 04:45:00 CDT 2011

On 07/15/2011 08:01 PM, Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> It looks like it's time for my wife & I to replace our cell phones.
> I've been holding off getting one of the smart phones until the prices
> came down, and it looks like they're a bit more reasonable now.  The
> only real question at this point is, which one?
>
> For reasons that should be obvious for THIS group, I want to go with
> an Android, but what kind of experiences have you had?  Do they all
> generally connect with desktop PCs pretty readily, of are there some
> hoops you have to jump through to get them to connect?  What about the
> differences between a Windows PC & a Linux system?
>
> Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.  Thanks.

There's been a lot of good information given, Alan.

 From a Spring HTC Evo4G owner, I will say that if you get a phone with
a touch screen, get a blue-tooth device.  Avoid holding the thing up to
your head.  Not that I'm worried about cancer, but the touch-screen, at
least it's been my experience, when it gets wet with sweat from holding
the thing to your ear for more than a few minutes at a time, the
remaining DNA that remains on the touch-screen causes the phone to go
-nuts-.    That's been my only bitch about a touch-screen phone.

It's linux based and works fine.  I'm told by Sprint Techs that the
'task killer' apps sometimes cause problems, but trying to decipher
which piece of software is causing problems is like trying to nail jello
to a tree.

I have the HTC Evo 4g, a Blackberry 8530Curve and a Blackberry i8350
curve on the IDEN network (ewwww, but I have to have the NexTel for work).

I prefer the Evo, but the Blackberry has some advantages... and I guess
it's my personal preference, but in -some- cases, NOT having the
touch-screen is sometimes advantageous.

The current Android HTC offering has a 3D camera on it.  but.... why?  I
guess it's neat for the latest "golly-gee-whiz-bang-lookie-what-I-got"
bragging right.  The dual-core stuff Nate was talking about sounds cool,
though...