[SATLUG] OT: Android phone recommendations

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Sat Jul 16 09:54:49 CDT 2011

On 7/16/2011 4:45 AM, Geoff Edmonson wrote:
> There's been a lot of good information given, Alan.
>
> From a Spring HTC Evo4G owner, I will say that if you get a phone with
> a touch screen, get a blue-tooth device.  Avoid holding the thing up
> to your head.  Not that I'm worried about cancer, but the
> touch-screen, at least it's been my experience, when it gets wet with
> sweat from holding the thing to your ear for more than a few minutes
> at a time, the remaining DNA that remains on the touch-screen causes
> the phone to go -nuts-.    That's been my only bitch about a
> touch-screen phone.

The only real issue I have with enabling Blue Tooth is the potential for
someone gaining access to the device without your knowledge.  Maybe I'm
just being paranoid ...

> It's linux based and works fine.  I'm told by Sprint Techs that the
> 'task killer' apps sometimes cause problems, but trying to decipher
> which piece of software is causing problems is like trying to nail
> jello to a tree.
>
> I have the HTC Evo 4g, a Blackberry 8530Curve and a Blackberry i8350
> curve on the IDEN network (ewwww, but I have to have the NexTel for
> work).
>
> I prefer the Evo, but the Blackberry has some advantages... and I
> guess it's my personal preference, but in -some- cases, NOT having the
> touch-screen is sometimes advantageous.
>
> The current Android HTC offering has a 3D camera on it.  but.... why?
> I guess it's neat for the latest
> "golly-gee-whiz-bang-lookie-what-I-got" bragging right.  The dual-core
> stuff Nate was talking about sounds cool, though...

If anything, I want to keep from getting something with too many
gewgaws, specifically for my wife's sake (she a little technologically
challenged).  And if I get the same thing, it's easier to help her with
hers since I know how to work it.