[SATLUG] OT: Android phone recommendations

Geoff Edmonson w5omr at att.net
Sun Jul 17 18:19:03 CDT 2011

On 07/16/2011 09:54 AM, Alan Lesmerises wrote:

> The only real issue I have with enabling Blue Tooth is the potential
> for someone gaining access to the device without your knowledge.
> Maybe I'm just being paranoid ...

If you're not around other people with bluetooth devices, there's not
much to worry about.

> If anything, I want to keep from getting something with too many
> gewgaws, specifically for my wife's sake (she a little technologically
> challenged).  And if I get the same thing, it's easier to help her
> with hers since I know how to work it.

There are so many devices to choose from, Alan the possibilities are
endless.

I would suggest a phone with the Android operating system on it.  Start
checking on those and see where that takes you.

It's been suggested that Sprint is good, as far as Networks are
concerned.  I'd have to agree.  Have a friend who's got an iPhone on
AT&T and we regularly loose contact while we both have full signal, but
mine is not the one that says "signal faded, call lost".

4G is fast, but it's a battery drainer while it's searching for a
signal.  I keep mine off unless I'm in an area where it's strong, and I
need to browse the net for some reason.

Regards,
-Geoff