[SATLUG] OT: Android phone recommendations

Lance Schneider schneider.lh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 02:22:11 CDT 2011

Hello, All.

I am going to offer very little to ultimately satisfying the quest for the
optimum recommendation but do think it worth contributing some fundamental
exploration as to the sought objectives.

If the objective of selection is for use as a PHONE, the selection process
becomes much more simple. AT&T and T-Mobile have each disappointed me in
call quality and dependability. I gave each two attempts, with contracts a
few years apart. I rooted for them, gave them the benefit of the doubt . . .
and regretted it, both times. As far as phone service reliability,
dependability, and transparent signal coverage area - Verizon has been the
hands-down winner for me. I even spent a stint as a long-haul truck driver
(long story), and that settled the hype for me about which provider really
has the best coverage.

If the phone is sharing duties pretty much equally with other functionality,
however, Verizon cheats you (not by expense) but in terms of using a
multifunction device without restricting the multifunction concept. The
Verizon network does not support running concurrent apps which entirely
defeats the purpose of a smartphone - especially something as robust and
promising as an Android device.

In this regard, the same demons that plague AT&T and T-Mobile in basic phone
service expectations extend to make the user experience intolerable for more
advanced features. The AT&T network is slow - unacceptably so in my opinion.
Both of my parents receive their pension from that company and I still must
be honest and advise others to steer clear and seek better service
elsewhere.

No matter the choice of phone, the performance is only as good as the
network. Overall, if I were shopping right now I would want to see what
Sprint has to offer. Their network is very high-speed, the prices are
extremely competitive, and they now boast a much improved customer service
satisfaction rating. They also have the HTC EVO 4G - very attractive in
features versus ease of use. Similarly, they offer the Samsung Epic 4G.
Neither of these phones is the sexiest thing on the planet but they deliver
as promised and without hassle.

I am a bit biased as I have computers for doing my real work. So when it
comes to how many apps I can run on a screen the size of a postage stamp, I
begin to lose interest quickly. However, having the ability to respond to
contacts by having several means to stay connected, GPS, and a web browser
at my finger tips is obviously fantastic. The only question remaining is how
practical is the intended use versus how much of a novelty plaything does it
need to be?