[SATLUG] OT: Android phone recommendations

buddylee48 buddylee48 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 08:30:32 CDT 2011

I would. ( I use my phone more than my laptops and desktops combined)

You don't have to pay both bills, im the prime example of that. I just have
my phone connection to use for my entire setup when I'm home. I keep
documents that I might need access to on a plethora of free services, and
private documents on my vps.

Actually most providers are offering tethering plans that will share your
phone connection to your other devices. Not to say you couldn't always use
any of the free apps that do just that ( check your providers TOS though
about using 3rd party apps).

In this day and age whether you have just a phone, just a laptop/desktop,
both or none it is becoming increasingly more convenient and efficient to
have a smartphone.

Back to the original topic: phone suggestions - I say head to.each carriers
store and try them out, give them 10-15 min each and jot down on a notepad
what you liked and didn't like and weigh that with the provider's plan
options

Cody
On Jul 19, 2011 8:17 AM, "Othniel Graichen" <othniel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Neither one of you really answered the question:
>
> Given that you already have a nice laptop,
> would you *trade* it for a new smartphone.
>
> That is if you had to choose just 1.
>
> BTW, most phone plans which include phone internet cannot be made to
provide
> internet access to "real computers" so we are talking 2 internet bills.
>
> OMG
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Nate Turnage <pixelnate at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/18/2011 8:52 PM, Geoff Edmonson wrote:
>>

>>> I've put 200,000 miles on my '06 pickup that I've had since dec '08.
>>> That's a -lot- of driving.
>>>
>>> Not a lot of room for a laptop, nor is it very safe to operate it while
>>> driving.
>>> (not entirely safe to operate the phone while driving either, but it's a
>>> damn sight easier to control!)
>>>
>>> The internet has come in handy on the phone for looking up addresses,
>>> phone numbers, company names, etc...
>>> it's been a life saver as far as checking weather conditions for where
I'm