[SATLUG] Choosing Virtualization technology

Frank Huddleston fhuddles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:20:40 CDT 2011

Fellows,

   I'd like to ask: how does one go about choosing which virtualization
method or technology to use? What, for example, would suggest the use of
a "Type 1" or "bare-metal" technology, such as Xen, over a "Type 2"
method, such as VirtualBox?
I mean, given that the Type 1 requires a specialized kernel, isn't it
just more hassle? Why does anyone even bother to use them? I'm thinking
that the #1 reason is: better performance.
Then, within those general divisions, what motivates a particular
choice? Why Xen instead of KVM? Why VirtualBox (which seems to be the
favorite of this group) over VMWare (I mean the free stuff) or
Parallels, or things I've read about but can't remember now?
I realize that there is a lot out there on this topic, and comparisons
such as this one at WikiPedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines
It's good information, but, to me, rather overwhelming, and so I thought
I'd ask this group to get some opinions and experiences.

Thanks,

Frank Huddleston