[SATLUG] Choosing Virtualization technology

Kernel Architect kernel.architect at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:29:49 CDT 2011

Hey Frank,

I speak from the perspective of someone who has a consulting firm that
specializes in Virtualization and Cloud computing. On a 'end-user'
non-enterprise level, Type 2 (hosted on top of another OS) is probably the
best way to go. These include VirtualBox, Parallels and VMware. Because
there is more translation for a command in the guest to reach the actual
hardware, the performance is slower than a bare-metal (Type 1) hypervisor.
For 99% of users out there, Type 2 is where it's at and there is no reason
to look at Type 1.

Type 1 naturally gives you better performance (which enterprises want to get
the most ROI) and the enterprise vendors such as VMware produce tools that
make management of large environments easy. The hypervisor itself is
commodity now a days, and all of the value is in the management stack built
around the hypervisor. Having advanced features that allow you to move
virtual machines from one host server to another (on-the-fly while running)
or changing back-end datastores (on-the-fly while running), advanced
snapshotting, integration with enterprise storage platforms (EMC, NetApp),
etc. are what businesses are looking for.

Again, for a basic end user, Type 2 is the best way to go. Unless you need
the enterprise management stacks and raw performance, Type 1 is not
necessary at all.

Ernest