[SATLUG] Choosing Virtualization technology

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:31:39 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Frank Huddleston <fhuddles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fellows,
>
>  I'd like to ask: how does one go about choosing which virtualization method
> or technology to use? What, for example, would suggest the use of a "Type 1"
> or "bare-metal" technology, such as Xen, over a "Type 2" method, such as
> VirtualBox?
> I mean, given that the Type 1 requires a specialized kernel, isn't it just
> more hassle? Why does anyone even bother to use them? I'm thinking that the
> #1 reason is: better performance.
> Then, within those general divisions, what motivates a particular choice?
> Why Xen instead of KVM? Why VirtualBox (which seems to be the favorite of
> this group) over VMWare (I mean the free stuff) or Parallels, or things I've
> read about but can't remember now?
> I realize that there is a lot out there on this topic, and comparisons such
> as this one at WikiPedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines
> It's good information, but, to me, rather overwhelming, and so I thought I'd
> ask this group to get some opinions and experiences.

Frank, we chose KVM over the others because it was more what we were
looking for. No special kernel, drivers, etc... just create your KVM
virtual machine and install away. We use it for 4 Windows XP and 7
images and 10 linux virtual servers on the same machine (the machine
in question is a 12 core AMD Opteron with 16GB of memory).

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility