[SATLUG] Laptop Memory

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 09:08:56 CDT 2011

Hi Art,
We both have an interest in community education.

I was just trying to upgrade the hard drive on my old Sony Vaio and now it
heats up and shuts down. It's got a couple of 256 MB PC-100, Sync, CL2
chips.

Granted, the weather is very hot, getting up to 99 degrees F the other day,
but the last time this laptop heated up like this, the fan had burned out
and I replaced it myself.
This laptop has lasted way longer than I ever imagined it would.  I might
just put the old 60 GB hard drive in and run OpenBSD on that, after taking
snapshots of the hard drive. Partitioning with OpenBSD to co-exist with
another operating system is a challenge and I've been making notes and
taking pictures, etc.

I also replaced a ~ $10 fan on an APC UPS, saving me a lot of money on a
potential replacement.

I'm currently experimenting with different backup methods, from G4L in
Clonezilla to partimage in PartedMagic, locally and remotely, hoping to post
notes soon.

Regards,
Daniel
http://www.youcanlinux.org/

P.S. Let me know if you need any help with your Spanish-speaking families
that you assist.