[SATLUG] Laptop Memory

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 09:08:56 CDT 2011

Hi Art,
We both have an interest in community education.

I was just trying to upgrade the hard drive on my old Sony Vaio and now it
heats up and shuts down. It's got a couple of 256 MB PC-100, Sync, CL2

Granted, the weather is very hot, getting up to 99 degrees F the other day,
but the last time this laptop heated up like this, the fan had burned out
and I replaced it myself.
This laptop has lasted way longer than I ever imagined it would.  I might
just put the old 60 GB hard drive in and run OpenBSD on that, after taking
snapshots of the hard drive. Partitioning with OpenBSD to co-exist with
another operating system is a challenge and I've been making notes and
taking pictures, etc.

I also replaced a ~ $10 fan on an APC UPS, saving me a lot of money on a
potential replacement.

I'm currently experimenting with different backup methods, from G4L in
Clonezilla to partimage in PartedMagic, locally and remotely, hoping to post
notes soon.

P.S. Let me know if you need any help with your Spanish-speaking families
that you assist.