[SATLUG] Laptop Memory

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Sat Jul 23 20:47:05 CDT 2011

Art I agree ...> Blow out the fans machine and apply heat sink to the processor.... use alcohol to clean off the old grease.

I have found that operating a desktop in zero AC environment will dry out the sink grease and cause overheating I learned this with an AMD chip that did not have auto shutdown and really fried. I noticed that only a small portion of the grease was fried and the rest was just powder. I switched to intel after that and every 2yrs I redo the grease and when I do I observe that the drying has happened . Now I try to remember to check the temps of the CPU when running now and then.

Another thing is when i service my boxes I pull the RAM and use a pencil eraser to clean all the contacts on the card edge. It seems to help.

I will be getting a 4yr old Compact Desktop with CRT monitor (size ??), not sure when the friend will bring it to me but I will service it and you are welcome to it but there will be some UPS cost if u can manage. I will send u a note with size and weight when I have it running with Ubuntu 10-04. If u are interested, I have no need for it. Lemme know?
herb