[SATLUG] Let the dispute begin

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 16:18:52 CDT 2011

Othniel Graichen wrote:
> I few years back I attempted such a beast,  I found that the distros do NOT
> play nicely when it comes to the boot partition.  Each distro considers the
> needs of itself and Windows but not that of other Linux distros.

Absolutely true and it is a PITA.  My suggestion for someone who wants
multiple Linux distros on the same system is to learn how to manage a
separate boot partition.  There is nothing in the boot partition that is
needed after linux started, so don't mount /boot except when necessary.

Of course as many of you know, I use LFS and control things myself.  To
do other distros is not that difficult, but it helps to have LFS to fall
back on.  An alternative is to have a grub boot CD to run grub from a
command line to get to where you have control and edit grub.cfg manually.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter08/grub.html

Basically to create a boot version of grub, you need to:

cd /tmp &&
grub-mkrescue --output=grub-img.iso &&
xorriso -as cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cdrw blank=as_needed grub-img.iso

To reset the MBR, mount /boot and run:

grub-install /dev/sda

Edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg to taste.  Also, always keep a backup of
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.

The above is pretty brief.  I'll be glad to answer questions.

   -- Bruce