[SATLUG] Let the dispute begin

Craig sargonemail at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 15:19:34 CDT 2011

On Fri Jul 29 14:54:40 CDT 2011 Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com wrote:
>> Craig wrote:
>> No MBR mess as each distro has it's own mbr to play with

> Um, no.  The MBR stands for Master Boot Record.  There is only one on
> each hard disk (on the first physical sector), not on each partition.
Ummm...  certainly the bios will look at the first physical sector at
physical hardware boot time; but I'm not aware of any hard drive/file
system that would wouldn't allow each bootable virtual hard disk image
to have it's own MBR.
And certainly, one can have multiple virutal hard disk images
containing an MBR section on a physical hard disk, at least with linux
;)

Ok, wrong phrasing.  Each bootable VM image can potentially contain an
MBR in the 'virtual MBR area' of the disk image.

Craig