[SATLUG] Xoom Review

Nate pixelnate at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 22:24:17 CST 2011

On 3/5/11 9:48 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I'm sorry if I sounded overly negative.  The Xoom does multitask
> reasonably well.  It is also open source.  I don't think WebOS (HP) is
> open source.  I also suspect that the iPad isn't any better.

Everything in WebOS is open source (node.js, HTML5, webkit, etc.),
except for the kernels, but you can grab them and modify them with HP's
own WebOS Doctor.

> My biggest disappointment is the keyboard, but I'll bet that gets
> fixed.  Part of being an early adopter is dealing with these type of
> problems.  The apps will get fixed too.
>
> Some of the other issues are inherent in a system of this size.  For
> instance, the finger is not as accurate as a mouse on any system.  You
> would have to compare systems side by side to see if there are really
> significant differences.  I doubt it.  It would simply amount to
> personal preference.

Sounds like they haven't solved the Android UX issues with Honeycomb. I
thought Mattias was supposed to have solved all the interface issues
that don't work well with finger input. Not to belabor the point, but
everything in iOS and WebOS work perfectly with finger input. Is the
keyboard your only issue? It sounded like you were experiencing a bit of
buyer's remorse.

> The biggest decision is to decide if you want *any* tablet.  You might
> want a smart phone instead (with a 2x3 screen, not me) or an even
> bigger laptop.  If all you want is something to browse the web and
> read email on the go, the Xoom is decent and it really does have the
> potential for a lot more.

There has got to be more to these devices for them to succeed. The new
additions to iOS (iMovie, Garageband, and all the other pro audio and
photography tools) are showing the potential for tablets in
accomplishing real work, and HP is pushing more for enterprise
acceptance. When the TouchPad comes out it will have, not one, but two
VPN clients available. Android may be the Windows of phone era, but
Google has a rough road ahead if they expect to compete in the tablet space.

~N