[SATLUG] phone recommendations

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sun Mar 6 06:48:06 CST 2011

Thanks to Bruce we have a good tablet review. I'm planning to get a new
phone. When it comes to phones I have always opted for the bare minimum.
Now there is a dizzying array of phones available when you renew your
contract with Verizon. So far, I have always used a phone just for
talking.  I rarely use it for texting (I think I sent 10 text messages
in my life), and I don't use it for Internet or GPS, listening to music
(which I rarely do), email, computing, or god forbid, watching movies. I
consider all of these applications basically useless on a phone, because
there are better devices for each task.

I don't need the mobility part either. However, there is one thing I can
see value in: wifi. At my work, phone reception sucks inside the building,
however, I got good wifi. Since I have a skype number, it would be great
if I could switch to skype when I am at work. I also would like to use
ssh/scp over wifi to backup my contact list and transfer pictures I
take with the phone.  A workable touch screen keyboard would be nice,
as would be compact size.

So here is the question: What phone can I get WITHOUT a data plan that
supports wifi, skype and scp/ssh? All I have is a basic 700 minute family
share plan, which we never use up, and I don't want to pay for something
I have essentially no need for. When I go to the Verizon shop they talk
your ear off, I just want to know what phone may work for me and what I
should stay away from. If anyone has a good experience with a particular
phone that may meet my needs please let me know.

Thanks! -Borries